Thursday, March 14, 2013

Band Concert Evaluation



Authors Note: This essay is an evaluation on the seventh and eighth grade Spring band concert. I represent a viewer of the concert and am reviewing it if I was a parent in the audience.

Another concert finally in the books, our band keeps getting better and better by the year. And now we have another one coming up in 3 months. Hopefully it’s as good as this one. The seventh and eighth grade did pretty well. Some minor misses and squeaks but overall I thought the concert sounded very well. I do think the seventh grade did better than the eighth though. There were less mistakes done by the seventh grade and because of that, their performance was a lot better.

Compared to the eighth grade, the seventh graders did a job worth a encore. Their sound quality really made some of their songs stick out from others, especially the one where they stomped their feet. It was a pretty cool song and overall their pieces sounded very well. Although there were a few squeaks here and there by the band, but overall it sounded great. I don’t think the songs were too hard from what I heard. I don’t think I heard any bell parts from the percussion in the seventh grade. It was basically all cymbal, snare, and bass drum from what I had heard.  Whereas in the eighth grade you could hear all types of percussion, especially in the train song. Overall the seventh grade sounded very nice and their part of the concert went a very well.

Now moving onto the eighth grade portion of the concert. Some of the songs the eighth grade had done sounded unbalanced and out of tune. During “The Planets and Among the Clouds”, some parts didn't seem as strong as they could have been. Sometimes people were going to fast or people played louder than others. I don’t know what it was, but it just didn't sound right. But the songs did sound a lot tougher than the seventh grade. The train song sounded cool but at times it got off track. It also went to fast and even though the song was supposed to represent a train, it could have been slowed down more. The eighth grade sounded very nice but I think they definitely could have blended better.

Another concert done and another coming up soon, the school year definitely goes by fast. Hopefully the next concert is as good or even better than this one. With a bit of luck at the next concert the eighth grade may blend their sounds better than what it did this concert. I also hope the songs are more fun than this recital. I know the concerts are supposed to be professional but fun and current music is just as good as classic music. Otherwise the concert just sounds boring with classic music.  Other than that the concert sounded very well done and it seemed like both bands practiced their hearts out. Let’s hope the Pops Concert is better than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment